Jujube/Unab (عناب) fruit, also known as red or Chinese date, is native to Southern Asia but has become popular around the world. These small round fruits with a seed-containing pit grow on large flowering shrubs or trees (Ziziphus jujuba). When ripe, they’re dark red or purple and may appear slightly wrinkled. This is a very powerful food that packs a healthy punch for the millions of people who know its true value.
- Jujube fruits are rich in several antioxidant compounds, primarily flavonoids, polysaccharides, and triterpenic acids. They also contain high levels of vitamin C, which acts as an antioxidant as well.
- Jujubes are widely used in alternative medicine to improve sleep quality and brain function. Emerging research suggests their unique antioxidants may be responsible for these effects.
- Jujube’s high fiber content may help improve digestion. About 50% of the carbs in the fruit come from fiber, which is known for its beneficial digestive effects
- It helps relieve anxiety as well. The sedative effects of jujube fruit or jujube oil extract is also known to work on hormonal levels and induce a calm, relaxed sensation through your mind and body.
- Jujubes have a low salt content and high potassium content, and both of these qualities about the fruit ensure that your blood pressure levels are in check
- A rich source of iron and phosphorous, jujubes help regulate blood circulation as well. Low iron content in your blood or anemia may lead to muscle weakness, fatigue, indigestion, light-headedness, and cognitive problems. Jujube not only increases blood flow, but also ensures smoother blood circulation.
- Jujube may boost immunity and fight the growth of cancer cells.